Click below to hear about rethinking demos:
Many of us are looking ahead to the end of the school year because we are just burnt out. The last thing we want to think about is coming up with or preparing demos for our classes. I get it! That is one of the reasons I am so excited to have who I consider to be the “Demo Queen” joining us today. Prepare to be inspired, brecause Dr. Erica Colón, from @nittygrittyscience, is here to share her tips and insights with us about demos and so much more!
Erica has so much great advice for new and veteran teachers. In this episode, she is sharing her background and experience, why she started Nitty Gritty Science Jr., misconceptions about demos, advice on rethinking demos, and what she wishes she could go back and do differently as a new teacher.
Dr. Erica Colón is a National Board Certified Teacher with over twelve years of teaching experience in 6th-12th grade secondary science. In 2012 she founded Nitty Gritty Science, LLC, a science curriculum publishing company, and uses her social media platform to share science teaching resources and ideas.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE Valentine’s Day themed high school science activities! These activities are perfect for using the holiday to engage your students in a fun, worthwhile learning experience. There is one activity specifically for each subject – biology, anatomy, physics, and chemistry. Grab them today and send me a DM or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org after you use them! I absolutely love hearing about how my freebies are being used in your classrooms!
Topics Discussed in This Episode About Rethinking Demos:
- Dr. Erica Colon’s background, experience, and how she got started with Nitty Gritty Science
- Why Erica started Nitty Gritty Science Jr. and important things for middle school teachers to understand about science in elementary grades
- Erica’s advice for teachers who don’t feel comfortable doing demos with their classes
- Why teachers who are feeling burnt out should begin rethinking demos, and how to do it without adding more stress
- What Erica wishes she could go back and do differently when she was a new teacher (and a simple thing you can do to improve your teaching!)
- Her advice on rethinking demos and more, specifically for middle school teachers and for high school teachers
- Grab your FREE Valentine’s themed high school science activities
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified virtual professional development course waitlist
- FREEBIE: Valentine’s themed high school science activities
- Send me a DM on Instagram: @its.not.rocket.science
- Send me an email: email@example.com
- Grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge!
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts.
Connect with Dr. Erica Colón:
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.