Click below to hear about midyear reflections:
Oh the second half of the school year. Making it to the end of the school year may seem like a daunting task to you. I get it! But what if you spent the next few months thriving instead of just surviving? Today, we are doing some midyear reflections by taking a look at the expectations we have for ourselves as teachers and digging into four areas of our work life that we can reset to make the rest of the school year the best it can be.
We all want our work life to align with our current season of life outside of work. You’ve heard me say it over and over that our life outside of work is more important than our jobs. So let’s find ways that we can reset our work lives so that we can regain some time and energy outside of work.
There are so many reasons we may be needing to readjust our work expectations. Maybe you are getting burnt out and spending 50+ hours a week at school or you have a new baby and want to spend as much time as you can with them. Whatever the reason, I want to help you realign your work expectations to make them more doable and less stressful in this season of life.
In this episode, we are talking about why you need to be reflecting on your current season, how to look at your classroom procedures and revamp them if needed, why you should give your teaching space a reset, what a time audit is and why you should do one, and how to look at your grading practices and determine if they need to be changed. Now is a great time to make changes in your work life and I challenge you to reflect on what you are currently doing and see if it aligns with your current season of life.
Don’t forget to download the free Classroom Reset Challenge to help you make the most of your midyear reflections!
Topics Discussed in This Episode About Midyear Reflections:
- What questions to ask yourself to guide your midyear reflections
- How to determine what classroom procedures are working and which ones need a midyear reset
- Why you should get your teaching space in order so you can start the second half of the school year strong
- How to use a time audit to evaluate if what you are spending time on is aligning with the limitations and priorities in your current season
- What to consider when you are looking at how you grade and determining if you can give your grading systems a midyear reset
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
- Episode 55, Goal Setting For the New Year – A Different Approach
- Episode 56, Scheduling Rest – Why You Need to and How to do It
- Episode 57. Living (and Working) in your Season – a Midyear Pep Talk
- Episode 4. Engaging Your Students – In the First 5 Minutes of Class
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.