Click below to hear how to reach every learner in your classroom:
As teachers, we know how important it is to reach every learner that walks into our classroom. But how do we go about doing that when there is such a diverse group of students in every class? Today, I am sharing 4 practical tips on how to reach every learner in your high school science classes.
Reaching every single one of your students can seem overwhelming but I am here to help give you practical tips to help you do just that. In this episode, I am sharing the importance of getting to know every student as a person, how eliminating homework can benefit you and your students, why you should use a variety of assessments, and the importance of checking your test questions for bias.
Our students come to us with so many different backgrounds, home lives, experiences, and preferences but there are simple things we can do in our classrooms to make sure we are reaching them all and making an impact.
My hope is that all of these tips will inspire you to make this your most impactful year yet. Be sure to follow and subscribe to Secondary Science Simplified Podcast wherever you listen so you don’t miss upcoming episodes!
Topics Discussed in This Episode on How to Reach Every Learner:
- Why building relationships with every student is the MOST IMPORTANT thing for you to do as a teacher
- How not assigning homework makes learning equitable for all students regardless of what responsibilities they have outside of school
- The importance of using a variety of assessments to allow for students to show their understanding in different ways
- Why you MUST review test questions for bias so you are only testing information and not student backgrounds
- How to ensure you’re wording your tests in a way that allows for ELLs (English Language Learners) to show their understanding
- Complete Secondary Science Units
- Biology Midterm and Final Exam Review and Test Pack
- Anatomy Midterm and Final Exam Review and Test Pack
- Physical Science Midterm and Final Exam Review and Test Pack
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts.
- Grab the FREE Classroom Reset Challenge
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts!
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
- Episode 35: Competency, Classroom Management, Teaching Chemistry and More with Guest Zach Matson
- Episode 37, teaching Physics and FUN with Guest Michelle Brosseau
- Building Relationships with Students: Tips for High School Teachers
- Why I Don’t Assign Homework in High School
- Using Nontraditional Summative Assessments in Secondary Classrooms
- Alternative Midterm Exams: 5 Ideas for High School Science Teachers
- Alternative Final Exams for High School Science
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.