Click below to hear about teaching seniors:
What better way to top off our mini-series on Senioritis than an interview with a teacher who has a lot of experience teaching seniors in her career. I am so excited to welcome my friend, Diana Price, to the show today!
In this episode, Diana shares some tips for how she personally handles senioritis with her students. She also talks about her entire teaching experience, from starting out as a floater teaching at the high school she went to, to now teaching mid-pandemic at a small private school as the only teacher who teaches the 5 preps that she has.
Diana shares a wealth of knowledge, especially in relation to her experiences teaching AP biology. Even if you don’t teach AP biology, you’ll walk away from this episode with some practical strategies for simplifying your life as a secondary science teacher.
Diana is a full-time high school science teacher that has been in the classroom the last decade. She received her undergraduate degree from Clemson University in Secondary Science Education and her Masters from Clemson in Biological Sciences (Go Tigers!). She currently lives in Beaufort, SC with her loving husband, daughter, and yellow lab.
Be sure to share this episode with a teacher friend who could learn from Diana’s experiences in the classroom too! And, if you’re enjoying the podcast, I would love it if you could leave a review wherever you prefer to listen to podcasts so that other teachers can find the Secondary Science Simplified podcast more easily. Thank you for supporting It’s Not Rocket Science and the Secondary Science Simplified podcast!
Topics Discussed with Diana on Teaching Seniors:
- What Diana has learned throughout her years teaching seniors, AP biology, and tips for new AP bio teachers
- How Diana organizes her lesson plans and keeps notes for the following year so she can improve her lessons from year to year
- Letting go of the idea that you need to do “all of the things” and how to choose what you’re going to focus on so you can maximize your effectiveness
- Grading for AP bio and how it differs from grading in other courses
- Diana’s strategy for preparing her AP bio students for the exam without reviewing during class time
- How Diana combats senioritis by pressing on, keeping expectations high, and developing strong relationships with her students
- Enneagram Type 9
- Bozemanscience Videos
- AP Bio Facebook Group
- Google Docs
- March Mammal Madness
- Google Classroom
- Anatomy and Physiology Curriculum FULL YEAR Bundle
- Grab the FREE Classroom Reset Challenge
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts!
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
- Episode 8, Balancing Multiple Preps: Where to Focus Your Energy
- Episode 9, Balancing Multiple Preps: How to Lesson Plan
- Episode 10, Balancing Multiple Preps: How to Manage Grading
- Episode 11, Balancing Multiple Preps with Sam Holcomb of Engineer Does Education
- Episode 12, Combating Senioritis Part 1
- Episode 13, Combating Senioritis Part 2
- Episode 14, Combating Senioritis Part 3
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.