Click below to hear how to make 1D lessons 3D:
What’s the difference between a 1-Dimensional classroom and a 3-Dimensional classroom, and how does a 3D classroom benefit our students? That’s what we’re talking about in today’s episode. I’m interviewing my very first guest (yay!) and she is an expert in helping other teachers transform their classrooms with simple shifts in making 1D lessons 3D.
Skipper started teaching in February of 2008, when a teacher left a note on his desk saying that he was never coming back. A biology major, she was suddenly thrown into the world of Earth and Space Science. It was only a few years later that Skipper started writing her own Earth and Space Science curriculum for Teachers Pay Teachers. Skipper is the mother of three cute kids, and she forces them to do science experiments together for family time.
Skipper Coates can spot a 3D classroom within 20 seconds of walking in. By the end of this episode, you will be able to as well. Skipper describes a 3D classroom and shares practical ways teachers can take their classrooms from 1D to 3D. Be sure to check out the resources she mentions, like this one!
You still have time to enter the January giveaway in honor of the launch of the podcast. Two winners will receive either $100 in store credit to the INRS resource shop or an INRS custom Rtic tumbler and a $30 TpT gift card! To enter the giveaway:
- Share the podcast somewhere on social media
- DM a screenshot of your post as your entry on IG
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts for a bonus entry
The giveaway will close the day of this episode airing, January 31, 2022. Good luck!
Topics Discussed in Making 1D Lessons 3D:
- How Skipper can tell a classroom is 3D within seconds of walking in
- Examples of common 1D lessons and simple shifts teachers can make to turn them into 3D lessons
- How important it is for our students to do the discovering and exploring
- Skipper’s one-page tool that you can use to transform any lesson from 1D to 3D
- One area where Skipper has simplified her life
- Transforming a Lesson from 1D to 3D
- Three Dimensional Learning
- Phenomena for NGSS
- #ProjectPhenomena Database
- Download your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts!
Connect with Skipper:
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
- Episode 5: Engaging Your Students – Without Exhausting Yourself
- Episode 4, Engaging Your Students – in the First Five Minutes of Class
- Make Lectures Engaging: 4 Tips for Lectures that are Effective and Engaging
- How to Use Discovery Stations
- 7 Ways to Use Stations in High School Science
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.