Click below to hear how to engage your students in the first 5 minutes of class:
Can the first 5 minutes of class really set the tone for the entire period? Absolutely! I believe the first 5 minutes are the most important part of each and every class.
In today’s episode, I’m sharing exactly what I do during those first 5 minutes to get my students focused and moving in the right direction from the moment they walk in the door. We do Prime Times®️ every single day in my classroom. Not only is this time beneficial for my students, but it’s also a great way for me to do a daily check-in to see how my students are keeping up with the content.
Prime Times®️ is another way of doing bell ringers. I’ve found that they are the foundation of my classroom routine and the number one tool for formatively assessing my students. I promise that implementing Prime Times®️ in your classroom during the first 5 minutes will make your life easier, not harder. Your students will love this routine too!
I’m celebrating the launch of the podcast this month with a giveaway! Two winners will be selected at the end of this month to receive their choice of $100 in store credit to the It’s Not Rocket Science Resource Shop OR an It’s Not Rocket Science Custom RTIC Tumbler and a $30 TpT Gift Card. To enter the giveaway:
- Share the podcast somewhere on Social Media with your teacher friends
- DM me on Instagram with a screenshot of your post
- BONUS ENTRY: Leave a review on Apple podcasts
- Why the first 5 minutes are the most important part of the entire class
- How implementing Prime Times®️ can relieve student anxiety and build trust
- Tips for maximizing your time in the classroom so you can stop taking grading home
- Motivating students to take notes and review them before class without assigning homework
- How to use Prime Times®️ to make accommodations, adjust your instruction, and improve student success
- Shop Prime Time resources in my TpT store
- How to Minimize the Time You Spend Grading So That You Never Have to Bring Work Home
- A Fair, Simple, and Accurate Grading Policy for Your Secondary Classroom
- Download your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.
- Follow, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts!
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
- Episode 2: Midyear Reset Part 1
- Midyear Reset: 4 Ways to Hit the Reset Button and Reclaim your Class (and Life)
- Decrease Grading Time: 4 Practical Ways to Cut Your Grading In Half
- How To Minimize the Time You Spend Grading
- 5 Teacher Prep Tips for Summer: What to do NOW to set yourself up for success in the fall
- Procedures to Teach at the Beginning of the Year to Make Your Life Easier the Rest of the School Year
- 4 Must-Do Things on the 1st Day of School in High School Science
Connect with Rebecca:
- Join the list
- Follow me on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join the Secondary Science Simplified Course Waitlist
- Shop my TpT Store
More about Secondary Science Simplified:
Secondary Science Simplified is a podcast specifically for high school science teachers that will help you to engage your students AND simplify your life as a secondary science educator. Each week Rebecca, from It’s Not Rocket Science, and her guests will share practical and easy-to-implement strategies for decreasing your workload so that you can stop working overtime and start focusing your energy doing what you love – actually teaching!
Teaching doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you’ll learn exactly what you need to do to simplify your secondary science teaching life so that you can enjoy your life outside of school even more. Head to itsnotrocketscienceclassroom.com/challenge to grab your FREE Classroom Reset Challenge.